dtorini

Cronic Bookaholic

I read any kind of books but lately I'm reading more and more of M/M.

Medium, Sweet, Extra Shot of Geek
Tea and Crumpet
Jay Rookwood, Lisa Worrall, Josephine Myles, Alex Beecroft

Friends With Benefits

Friends With Benefits - Cheyenne Meadows 3 stars

The blurb said it all. Trying to evade grandmother’s matchmaking attempt, Ramsdell – a lion shifter – was asked by his baseball teammate and best friend, Wiley – a wolf shifter, to be posey boyfriend at his family’s Pack Founders’ Day. In their universe, all shifters lived together in harmony; our MCs were part of “Preston Predators Baseball Team” in the all-shifter league, they also had bear shifter, wild dog shifter, and other predator shifters as teammates.

And so we had the ingredients: best friends + fake boyfriends + nosy family + breeder’s weekend where pheromones and mating urges were all around. A promising mix of meaty delicious pie in the making, as the following snippet conveyed:
“…But you owe me. Big-time. I’ve heard about wolf pack parties.” He shuddered dramatically.
Wiley chuckled. “Like any myth there’s only a seed of truth.”
“Which seed is the problem,” Ram answered drolly.

This was a simple and nice light reading, leaning on humorous slant, moderate pace and devoid of angst. We journeyed through Ram’s and Wiley’s POV alternately, met Wiley’s rather eccentric and chaotic family. It was a fun reading. There were some “Whoa!” moments for me realizing that due shifters’ long lifetime, our MCs were a couple of over a century years old shifters. Here, shifters maintained their youthful face and shape even in their old some hundreds years’ life. They also talk (or argued) with their inner beasts, which proved to be some conversation indeed. Often this other half reprimanded and pointed the obvious to their more reticent human half.

I loved the witty banter and camaraderie; they were quite entertaining though some could be over the top (Grandma Wolf, you overwhelmed me! For sure you’re NOT safe to be let loose in unsuspecting human world.) and Wiley’s baby brother, Pip, was just too adorable. Keeping in mind these were not your regular normal people interactions, and as Wiley and Ram more than once pointed out: they were crazy and eccentric even for wolf pack. Our heroes were likeable characters, opposites in every way but found comfort in each other. I approved that despite the provoked kisses that awaken their desires they didn’t right away act on it; there’re teasing and attempt at seduction but nothing PG-rated. But man, as far as UST went when it reached the point of no return: total explosion! I guessed there were points they didn’t combust while at Wiley’s parents’ house; they might become sideshow for a certain peeping tom or have to explain the broken furniture to their host. *grin*

As for smutty scenes – pretty graphic ones if I did say so myself – while I applauded they occurred quite sometime later in the scene, I wish the author would explore more on other aspect than sex to seal the deal. Sure, this was shifter world where mating ritual involved copulation, blood exchange etc etc. But they were best friends and teammates for a while before becoming lovers. There must have had to be other interesting bits to go through. Just saying, this was how I felt as mere human. *shrug*

Guest Reader Review at Boys in Our Books

The ARC is provided by the publisher for an exchange of fair and honest review. No high rating is required for any ARC received.