dtorini

Cronic Bookaholic

I read any kind of books but lately I'm reading more and more of M/M.

Medium, Sweet, Extra Shot of Geek
Tea and Crumpet
Jay Rookwood, Lisa Worrall, Josephine Myles, Alex Beecroft

Restless Spirits

Restless Spirits - Jordan L. Hawk 3.5 stars

Hmmph. I find it difficult to describe what I feel about this book. This is the first installment of a new historical paranormal series by Jordan L. Hawk. Having read her ongoing Whyborne & Griffin series just last year, it's hard for me to separate this new team with the dynamic of Whyborne/Griffin/Christine. So I admit to struggle with the story. At first.

Among the reasons for my strain was: I didn't like most of the characters in this book. Henry Strauss. Vincent Night. Elizabeth Devereaux. Almost all the main casts. Of course, each one had muddy past/secret they hadn't wished others to ever know. Thus result in their rather judgmental attitude to others. Thank gods for one Jo Strauss, Henry's cousin cum assistant - she's the least teeth-grinding characters for me most of the time.

That saying, this was a quite promising start to a new series; setting the root for more stories to come, which - as I come to be familiar with Ms. Hawk's style - wouldn't be an easy ride for any of her characters. Just like in this book. There were mayhem, blood-spilled, death, hurt and lost. But along the way, I grudgingly starting to like those three I mentioned before. And I do mean GRUDGINGLY. *g* They were difficult characters. And as they were difficult characters, I'm very sure they'd lock horns again in the future. That's promising, right. And the supernatural plot - well, I'm not huge fan of ghost story or anything - but just let me just say that it was... quite spookily entertaining.