dtorini

Cronic Bookaholic

I read any kind of books but lately I'm reading more and more of M/M.

Medium, Sweet, Extra Shot of Geek
Tea and Crumpet
Jay Rookwood, Lisa Worrall, Josephine Myles, Alex Beecroft

Bitten by Snake Oil

Bitten by Snake Oil - Shiloh Saddler
Copy of this book was received from the author via Goodreads MM Romance DBML program in exchange for fair and honest review.

I'm not familiar with Ms. Saddler's story having never read her book before. And this book left me feeling confused.

The story was set in a late nineteenth century Kansas, I didn't see the correlation between the prologue - which started inside the circuit tent where a little man with a tall hat spin a tale to his audience - with the whole story. No idea why the little man had a blue tarantula and why, seeing a blacksmith among his audience, he decided on a tale about blacksmith and medicine-show man.

Swapped into the life of Jed, the blacksmith of Tumbleweed, Kansas. Ever since his wife passed away he's fighting his attraction to men. Why? No clue. No explanation. It just happened. When a medicine show wagon rode into town, he caught the eye of the medicine man selling him the elixir to get rid of his forbidden desire. Instead of being cured, he started to have erotic dreams with said medicine man. I wasn't convinced with how the sudden attraction built between these two men. The encounter with the town preacher was too cliche and how stuff turned out for Jed's mother in law in the end was way too unbelievable.

There's no plot here. The story just ran amok to every directions. I like the idea of magick practice in historical western setting. But somehow the execution left a lot to be desire...